i made no resolutions for the new year, but i did take the time to remind myself of the things i truly believe in. i don't think you need a new year to start something new in your life, or to reaffirm your beliefs. at any rate, here they are:
1. be the kindest, most honest and compassionate person you can be to yourself, and the world.
2. simplify your life and slow down. learn to really listen to yourself and others. i really believe in less is more.
3. let go. it's not about the "what if's" or the "how it should've been's." focus on being the best "right here, right now" because that's all you've got control over.
4. spend as much time outdoors as possible. preferably in nature. but sometimes the urban context can feel like a jungle too.
5. prioritize your life in a way that allows you to live it the way you want, and not how others want you to. but do so responsibly and respectful to those you love.
6. travel. and yes, 30 minute drives for antiquing adventures count as much as a plane ticket to new zealand.
7. give back to your body and mind. meditate / eat well / reconnect with a friend.
8. make art. even if you forgot how to. just try. write like you used to every morning. do a 365 photo project. please send out those old undeveloped rolls of film you've been meaning to. get your hands dirty. redefine what art means to you. pull out old projects you've forgotten about. revamp your blog. dust off those old toy cameras.
9. have at least one, great, in-person interaction with a human being, every day. don't allow texting or social media of any kind to substitute for real human interaction.
10. say 'i love you' to those you love every. damn. day. and consider yourself so damn lucky to receive their love back.